"To improve man's quality of life through research and community services" is one of the objectives of Colegio De Dagupan as stated in its Philosophy, Mission, Vision and Objectives. The conduct of research in higher education institutions (HEIs) is greatly needed since research contributes to development. Technological, social, cultural and political advancement must be strongly anchored on research findings. As such, special emphasis should be given to research to enable the country to be globally competitive and join the world class nations in the 21st century.
The Role of Research in Total Development
The role of research in the total development of the country can be illustrated in the figure below. As shown, the social, cultural, technological and political advancements have their basis on research. The four major thrusts of the Commission on Higher Education, namely: quality and excellence, access and equity, relevance and responsiveness, and efficiency and effectiveness generate technologically directed, innovative/creative, locally responsive and globally competitive research.
The Goals of Research in Colegio De Dagupan
Research in Colegio De Dagupan, then shall be founded on the research agenda of the Commission on Higher Education. It shall be directed to support and enhance both instruction and extension activities in the institution.
The purpose of researches in this institution is aimed to:
- enhance instructions through the development of original, innovative and creative instructional materials;
- develop models which can be translated into mature technologies for the purpose of improving the quality of life of the humanity within the sphere of influence of the college; and
- to investigate factors and develop models that will facilitate the achievement of the goals and objectives of the college.
The Research Agenda
The research agenda of Colegio De Dagupan is anchored on the goals of research of the Commission on Higher Education stated in the National Higher Education Research Agenda (NHERA).
- Multidisciplinary. Researches that involve the expertise of researches in several disciplines are preferred over researches needing the expertise of a single discipline. However, the principle does not apply to the category of "breakthrough researches" such as revolutionary scientific and mathematical discoveries;
- Policy-Orientation. Policy-orientation researches are preferred over researches that have little or no policy implications across the various disciplines;
- Operationalization. Researches, which aim to investigate and explain the relationship of different phenomena, are preferred over researches that simply document association among observable events, phenomena or factors; and
- Participation and Broad Impact. Higher education researches should involve the participation of as many stakeholders as possible and should have impact on the greatest number of individuals or group of individuals.
The Research and Development unit of the of Colegio De Dagupan being still in its infancy stage will direct its research activities in areas that have direct impact on its community.
Institutional researches will be prioritized during its initial stage. Research activities will involve the participation of students, faculty and staff.